Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Winter is Coming; What to Wear


Naturally for this time of year it is popular with all websites, that have anything to do with cycling, to have write ups about what winter clothing to use while riding. So, here is my contribution....with one exception I bought 90% of the clothing I am writing about.

I am no stranger to riding in cold weather as a man who grew up and began racing bicycles in Wyoming I can assure you I have had my time in the cold. However, for the last 15 years I have made my home between Hawaii, Guam and San Diego. Now making my home in the Netherlands I have to admit that I am a bit intimidated by the fast approaching Dutch winter. My thick Wyoming skin may be a bit on the softer side now.

When I set out to purchase my winter gear I had a budget and I had some expectations. Of course I could have spent a few hundred dollars on a pastel colored, trendy, wool jersey with some kind of fancy script on the front but I wanted to spend that and get a bit more than 1 jersey. So I set out on my search.

I kept finding myself on the Pearl Izumi website, it is a brand that I am familiar with and a brand that has kept me warm in the past. With my expectation of finding something warm, wind proof, thermal, water resistant and a reasonable price I settled on the Elite thermal riding jacket and the Elite thermal long sleeve jersey. I chose the Elite series for the price and the fit. Because I knew I would probably want to layer a few items underneath the jacket and jersey, the slightly more relaxed fit was my choice.

Now that I had addressed the upper body warmth I looked to my legs and my feet. Already having some thermal tights and neoprene booties I had to only get a pair of leg warmers and some shoe covers. So, some Pearl thermal leg warmers and a pair of Barrier lite shoe covers were the easy choice. Leg warmers are always good to have and the shoe covers are a good first defense against the cold and when paired with some thermal socks they offer just enough protection. For the really cold days the thin structure of the shoe cover will allow me to layer them under my neoprene booties.

That was it for my purchases and when combined with the apparel I already have, 5mm neoprene dive gloves for the cold wet rides, GORE paclite shell, various base layers and jerseys, plenty of bib shorts, and thermal bib tights I think winter will be kept at bay this year. Which is cool, because for the first time in a long time I am truly loving being back on the bike.

All that mumbo jumbo above is fine and great, but how does all of it perform? Good question, because today I found out.

I set out for my ride and the roads were wet from an earlier rain and the clouds weren't very menacing looking but the weather report said more rain was to be expected and anytime you ride near a big cold body of water like the North Sea things can change quickly. Because of that big cold body of water and its effect on the weather pattern combined with a forecast for rain, my rain jacket was rolled up tightly and ready to rock. For the rest of my clothing I chose the Pearl thermal jacket, standard baselayer, bibshorts, my thermal leg warmers, and my barrier shoe covers. With a temperature at only 38 degrees, a slight wind and a threat of rain I figured this would be enough clothing to keep me warm for the duration of my ride. I like to start cool and end warm. This turned out to be the right choice for the temp and within 30 minutes of leaving my house, the right choice for the freezing rain.

Everything that I chose to wear was worked very well and I can't express my satisfaction enough. The thermal jacket performed flawlessly. As advertised the water resistance of the thermal jacket excelled and because the rain wasn't going to stop I wanted a bit more protection from the rain jacket so after 40 minutes without it, I pulled the jacket on and I was set for the remainder of my ride. In the comfort of warmth and dry I plugged my way through the falling rain. Naturally my SCUBA gloves worked well. Sure, my fingers were a little raisiny at the end of the ride but they were warm as could be and the 5mm neoprene also kept the wind off my hands. The leg warmers got a little chill on the knees, but they were soaking wet and I was riding into a 15mph headwind on a, balmy 36 degree, windy and rainy day.

For anybody who is in need of winter riding clothes I recommend you look for great clothing at a good price as well as a great value. Your main concern should be the protection, fit, and style. I recommend my expectations and wants in these three qualities for any garment you choose.

1) Thermal
2) Wind Proof
3) Water Resistant

-and-

always have a good rain jacket just in case.

Here's to happy warm and dry winter riding.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice info. when I was back in Michigan, chilly or even cold weather never stopped me from riding. The rain and snow was avoided, but anything 35 degrees or better saw me hitting the streets. Now that I am in Cali, my inspiration to ride in inclement weather has been diminished. Perhaps this piece will reinvigorate my enthusiasm to ride. Thanx for the post!