Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Real Deal: The Stroopwafel


How can I possibly criticize the American fascination with Europe? Fast cars, beautiful women, fancy bicycles, romance, fancy handbags, chic sunglasses and most recently the Stroopwafel. Honey Stinger recently released their version of the Dutch Stroopwafel but it isn't anywhere near the same. It is a good attempt at emulating this little wafer of goodness but will most assuredly fall short. First of all it isn't Dutch and secondly it is filled with honey and not caramel. However, I guess with a name like Honey Stinger they couldn't really put caramel in the thing. I suppose I should cut them a bit of slack. As far as the Stroopwafel being used for a nutritional boost mid ride, mid ski, mid whatever I can't think of anything that tastes this good and packs as many carbs. I recommend that when you are ready to eat the Stroopwafel, do so at the appropriate time and place. Don't just pull it out of your jersey pocket or hydration pack and eat it, stop, get a cup of coffee, sit with your friends and enjoy the little treat as it should be.

The Stroopwafel originates in the town of Gouda (pronounced how-duh not goo-duh) which is known for its cheese but now you know that they should also be known for the Stroopwafel. They were first made in the late 1700's and were popular for everyone and mostly the poor. Loads of butter, brown sugar and flower were mixed and placed into a waffle iron and while they were still warm were cut in half and a syrup combined with brown sugar was placed in between the two halves and then put back together. They've essentially been done the same way since then. Obviously now there are factories that make them but I can't imagine the process being much different, just automated. In Gouda there are still several family bakeries that make them the old way and they each have their own recipe.

In my picture I show the intended way to eat a Stroopwafel with a cup of coffee. Of course you can eat them any way you like....but....I highly recommend the way that is shown. A hot cup of coffee with a Stroopwafel on top allows the sugars and caramel syrup to warm up and begin a slow melt and on cold days helps to keep the coffee warm, so, therefore you need at least 2 Stroopwafel. That slight melting of the caramel and the warmth of the wafel shell is astounding and you will surely become addicted.

For those that want the real deal Stroopwafel and not some honey filled substitute I've got some links for you.

For my San Diego friends this is where I got my Stroopwafel

For my Denver friends. It is a cool little store and deli. The owner is Dutch and she has some selection of nice Dutch treats.

For anybody else who doesn't have or know of a source, Dubbel Dutch in Denver also sell online.


Happy Eating

1 comment:

True Blue said...

You might want to try www.eatdutchwaffles.com, as well